Sunday 3 April 2016

Take Me Deeper - DNA - Week 14 - 1st April - More Than Conquerors!

TMD 2016 - DNA - 1st April, Week 14 - More Than Conquerors!
Based on Romans 8:35-39:
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:
“For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
I felt this was a bit empty-looking when I came back to it this morning. But then I thought how, when in times of hardship it's so easy to feel all alone, as if nobody can understand and nobody can help. 

I thought about how it feels to go out into the night and look up at the moon and stars - that feeling of being a tiny part of an enormous creation. No matter what manmade structures are around, just looking up and focusing on the sky can make you feel as if there's so much space around and that you';re the only person inhabiting that space!
After I'd finished this piece, I saw that the figure is not actually standing in the light. At first I thought I'd placed him wrong; painted in the light wrong, and started trying to think of ways to correct that. Then I stopped as I realised that we don't always feel as if we're living in the light - back to what the above verses in Romans say! We may suffer all sorts of trials, but we are never separated from the love of God, no matter how our emotions may tell us we're feeling! So this figure may feel alone, outcast even, but still looks to God in faith and knows he is loved...and the light DOES reach him!
TFL!
Bernie x


No comments:

Post a Comment