Saturday 9 December 2017

Advent 2017

5th December 2017

Zechariah said to the angel, “How can I be sure this will happen? I’m an old man now, and my wife is also well along in years.”

Then the angel said, “I am Gabriel! I stand in the very presence of God. It was he who sent me to bring you this good news! But now, since you didn't believe what I said, you will be silent and unable to speak until the child is born. For my words will certainly be fulfilled at the proper time.”

Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah to come out of the sanctuary, wondering why he was taking so long. When he finally did come out, he couldn’t speak to them. Then they realized from his gestures and his silence that he must have seen a vision in the sanctuary.

When Zechariah’s week of service in the Temple was over, he returned home.



"How do we react to the promises God makes unto us? In delight do we seek a keepsake? Or in doubt do we demand proofs?

...God is faithful. God is trustworthy. God is unlike the world altogether. Unto faith, God grants signs in abundance: rainbows, pillars of fire and cloud...and this sign: "Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

Now if Zechariah were trusting the good news of the messenger, Gabriel's next words would fill him with immortal delight, for by them the old priest would realise that he is seeing the one who sees the face of God...But Zechariah is MIStrusting, DISbelieving. His question is meant literally. "How shall I know this? By what proof shall I know the truth of this news?"

"I stand in the presence of God" in this care sounds terrible, for it means: God sends this news! It is God whom you mistrust!

...the Lord says, "Surely I am coming soon." (Rev. 22:20). And what do you say to that promise? Jesus says, "I am coming soon!" And how do you respond?"

Preparing for Christmas, W. Wangerin Jnr.

TFL!
Bernie x


No comments:

Post a Comment